Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Allergy testing

Today was a big day for me and NOT a good one. For all of you that know me well know that I have a HUGE needle phobia. It is bad news. I went to get my ears pierced 5 times before I could actually go through with it. My poor mom had to sit with me through it all and buy all the earrings because of course I would flip out after they opened the sterile package.


Anyways, so today......I had an allergy testing done, you know the one that involves needles. Yes, yes, I do realize that some of you are reading this saying OMG those aren't real needles....well they were to me that was for sure. All day I just kept telling myself that I needed to put on my big girl panties and that it won't hurt. Well, that didn't work out so well. All morning my anxiety level was so high I could barely concentrate. I couldn't even eat lunch because I was so nervous. My appointment was at 1pm so I left work around 12:20 so I could be there in plenty of time, not sure why it just gave me more quiet time to freak out. I walk into the waiting room and fill out my papers and I realize that my doom is getting closer and closer. Before I know it they call my name (of course butchering it in the process) so she sits me down in a public area, doesn't even pull me into my own room. I am just sitting in the hallway for everyone to see my fears. So I politely ask her if we can just move over one "pod" for a little more privacy. We move over and she sets down 3 trays of test and well the tears just comes flooding out uncontrollably because all I see are lots of needles. I am so embarrassed at this point I start crying even more. She was very nice and calms me down and says she would be just as scared, yeah - I am sure I believed that. She explains the procedure and then starts labeling both of my forearms with numbers and lines and then just whips out the "pricks" and starts going at it. Of course there was no great time for her to begin but man I just felt like it was out of the blue. She "pricks" me about 40 times on my forearms and then I just waited for her to come back and read the test. I start forming these huge welts and rashes telling me that clearly I am allergic to something. Well, when she comes back and takes out the bigger needles and proceeds to mark on both of my upper arms and the tears just start pouring out again, uncontrollably. She says she is going to try and do it as fast as she can while calling over another nurse to distract me. I found out all about both of their kids, their names, where they go to school, etc. I can't say that it helped me but I definitely appreciated the try. When it was all over I was finally relieved, to say the least.


With all of that, the doctor comes in and tells me that I am allergic to most trees, grasses, dogs (which I have 2 of), cats and DUST. So, of course I am going to be allergic to the things that no human being can avoid. Oh well.......I go back in 6 months to see if I need to start on allergy shots. Yeah, the reality of me doing that is slim to none. I think I will just stick to the pills.

My hubs made it all better once he got home. He brought me flowers and then got into a cleaning kick I have never seen to try and make everything allergy free. :)

I mean how can I be allergic to these furry faces......

3 comments:

  1. Sorry you had such an AWFUL day! I really hope the meds work because we all know you will avoid future encounters with needles AT ALL COSTS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren! The Baylor Clinic has patch testing! They do it with PATCHES!

    Remember when I used to get those horrible welts and how bad my allergies were and I'd get those horrible hives whenever there was a stressful situation at work (which was every day)? If you don't I'm glad, because it was embarrassing. Anyway, I am allergic to 5,000,000 things too, and I haven't had to get the shots yet. I am just vigilant about taking 10 mg of Zyrtec and that helps with the hives. I hope that's the case for you too!

    Also, we need to chat because I have work news! I'll email soon.

    Hang in there!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I know this was stressful for you! I'm so sorry that it was such an awful experience. Thank goodness for Danny and his sweetness.

    ReplyDelete