Friday, December 28, 2012

Got Milk?

Ok maybe a weird title but it is kind of a big deal. So we all know that when I had Molly the goal was to nurse her for a year, if I was able. Well, nursing didn't happen because of a variety of reasons so I turned to pumping. Let me tell you, lugging that thing around for almost a year was a lot of work but I am glad I did it. For some reason I produced a ridiculous amount of milk so we bought a deep freeze and started storing. The day after she turned 11 months I was done pumping and decided that I didn't want to deal with thawing the milk so Molly went to formula full time and I donated all my extra milk to the Texas Children's Hospital NICU. They sent me 3 coolers and I packed it all up and sent it to California where it will get pasteurized then sent back to the hospital. It ended up being about 1200 ounces and they pack it in 4oz bottles so that is about 300 meals for the little babies. So, if anyone is thinking about donating I definitely recommend it. It is an easy process, a little blood work, a cheek swab, they send the coolers and all you have to do is pack them and call FedEx to pick everything up.




2 comments:

  1. GOOD GOD, WOMAN! That's a ton of milk!! Next time around you could support twins or even triplets!

    ReplyDelete